Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Little Black Book...

Every time I feel the urge to write an entry it is purely because something triggers a memory of my best friend and father, Tony Banner.  Lately I have been enjoying doing what I do best, getting to know people.  At an early age, mom and dad engrained in Lindsay and I to treat others how we wish to be treated.  It's a simple and effective method.  Thanks to the great advice and years of practice, I have made some really cool relationships with people over the years.  Often times I have heard people stressing the fact that in life it is not what you know but who you know.  Of course there is some truth to that theory but I do believe it is crucial for those relationships to be sincere and real.  Dad was always teaching me and when I was a senior in high school he gave me a book to read over a family vacation.  He told me that Jeffrey Gitomer's, Little Black Book of Connections would give me all the tools to develop a solid network.  I quickly learned that there is much more to connecting than simply knowing people.  After I read the entire book, the intro just inside the cover summed it up best.  "Connecting is all about your friendliness, your ability to engage, and your willingness to give value first," as stated by Gitomer.  Sounds pretty simple and almost too basic to be true, but I have truly bought into the process.  Now every person I meet I am trying to learn something about them and figure out how I can help them get closer to their dream.  The outcome has been nothing but a fast growing network of great people that I have come to love.  This strategy will take time, but it will be built on a solid foundation that will reap great benefits at the most unexpected times.  Most importantly, you will surround yourself with people who care about you because you have cared about them first.  Dad was a simple man that was the best at caring for the people he encountered.  As a result, he was a very happy guy that helped brighten thousands of people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment