Sunday, September 2, 2012

I love you dad by Andrew Banner


 Not a day goes by without me thinking of you.  Each and every day new challenges and opportunities come my way and I seize them all as you have taught me.  Quite honestly the past year has been a great challenge that mom, Lindsay and I have come together, stepped up to the plate, and knocked it out of the park in our own ways.  We have all grown for the better, which I know you can see.  At our core we still live by the same morals our family has valued and each of us are keeping busy trying to follow our dreams.  I very much miss our daily talks while I’m on my way to and from work and the occasional lunch break chat.   I sometimes get mad at myself that I can’t seem to keep up with the Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins like I would have had I been talking to you each day.  It is so much tougher when I do not have the local news or you filling me in.  It brings me to tears to think after all these years that you preached to me that the Pirates would make a comeback simply because you never stopped believing and they are having what seems to be there best year in the past 17.  I want them to make the playoffs so bad. 
As you know the NFL season is just about to kickoff and I just drafted my fantasy football roster for the 13th consecutive season.  Of course I think my team is the best just like ever other year but I got that optimism from you.  To this day, I will never forget the fact that our first ever fantasy football season we won the title and never looked back.  As for the Steelers, they are looking like the Steelers we know… always a Super Bowl contender.  It is crazy to think you helped move me to Dallas 15 months ago!   That was honestly one of the best decisions of my life.  Thank you for supporting my decision to go so far away from home to go after my dreams.  Dallas has been very good to me.  I have surrounded myself with great people just like you always did.  Networking here is so fun!  There are so many people with so many stories and knowledge to learn from.  Each and every day I ask Adam and Carly, “can it really get any better?”  We have it so good.  My officiating career is sky rocketing faster than even I could have imagined!  I know you had your doubts behind scenes that I could make this happen and make a living but I love a good challenge.  Watch out, it will not be too long before I am in the NBA Finals.  I have so many mentors down here that have specific characteristics that remind me of you.  This group of mentors keep me grounded and challenged every step of the way.  If I could have told you that in 15 month’s time in Dallas I could have accomplished what I have accomplished you would have smiled and said “lets take a step back for a moment and just get to Dallas first.”  Not only have I been extremely excited and happy about what I have done for myself but I also am keeping busy helping others, which is what life is all about.  I have helped some of my friends meet their personal health goals, build a house for Habitat for Humanity, organized multiple sports teams, even a fantasy football league, and most importantly shared my love with all my friends and neighbors like you were so well remembered for doing. 
On top of a great year, so many people have come together to give back to the Clarion community by helping bring awareness to the endowment we have built in your name at the Clarion University.  All your time spent growing up at Keystone, then supporting all the Banner boys there, and doing the same as Lindsay and I grew up at Clarion, all while running the boosters and even coaching from time to time will never be forgotten.  You were a dedicated loving man.  Not to mention as Lindsay played volleyball at Clarion University you transitioned into a relentless supporter of Clarion University athletics.  You and mom traveled to all home and away matches which is a feet in itself, but you also supported all the other teams and athletes as they were your own.  You also continued to support the University, as I was lucky enough to coach the Clarion University Woman’s Basketball team.  Oh and how could I forget, you knew every single person on campus like they were your best friend because you wanted to be more than just a copier salesman, you actually cared about the people you did business with each and every day.  The least we could do is create a Tony Banner Memorial Invitational Tournament supported by Clarion University each and every year.  The inaugural tournament is September 7th and 8th this year.  My life is so much better for having you around for the past 24 years but it goes ways beyond Lindsay, mom and I.  This is our dedication to you because we know this is something you have supported and will always support, thank you and love you.  

TO DONATE TO THE TONY BANNER ENDOWMENT PLEASE CONTACT:

Shawn Wood
Phone: 814.393.1832




No comments:

Post a Comment