Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Greatest Day in the History of the World? by Andrew Banner


I challenge you to think in great detail about this question.  There are so many historical events to look back on that forever changed the world we live in today.  This is not a simple question for most people.  Oddly enough, I can recall the day I discovered the answer to this question. 
            There was not a day that went by that my dad did not have something positive to say about someone or something that had happened within each day I can remember with my dad.  He was always so positive even in the moments that seemed tough to swallow.  My dad was what you would call a die-hard Pirates fan.  No matter how bad they were doing over the past 17 seasons he was always looking on the bright side.  I guess it’s no coincidence that last season as the Pittsburgh Pirates were having another semi-promising year at the midpoint that my dad was updating me text by text day after day even after I told dad that I really had no interest.  Leave it to dad to be the optimistic fan who knew that the Pirates would someday play again to the level they once played in the 70’s with his all-time favorite Roberto Clemente.  Just prior to dad’s passing he was filling me in on how the bucos were on a 9 game losing streak but they still had their chances to be above 500 with a handful of games left in the season.  The day dad passed, I sure as heck was not following the Pirates but those who were ever so close to me were.  The Pirates went onto change their fortune and win the game the day my dad passed, September 2nd, 2011. 
            Sure the Pirates fell short of 500 again last season but they are on the rise again this season.  The relevance of the story is simply in the fact that one can never give up.  The day before I flew to San Diego to take on the semester of a lifetime was the day I truly knew how to answer, “what is the greatest day in the history of the world?”  I know this because I wrote mom and dad a letter and hid it so they would not find it until after I set sail.  The letter told them how much I loved them and respected all that they had done for me in my life but most importantly that they should know that I will be ok with being half way around the world from them because I had learned from them that today would be the best day of my life. 
            Eleanor Roosevelt said it best, “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that’s why they call it the present.”  Dad’s outlook on life was a choice.  He lived everyday like it was his last and had no regrets.  Let today be the best day of your life!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment