Friday, October 12, 2012

I’ve been watching you by Andrew Banner


          Any time I hear the song “I’ve been watching you,” by Rodney Adkins my mind goes straight to memories of how much I loved looking up to my dad.   Music has always been a fixture in our family.  It’s not uncommon that I will text my sister or she will text me, “just listening too Tom Petty and made me smile.”  Tom Petty is just one of the many great bands/artists that connect us with dad.  Mom and dad taught us well, and we were always eager to learn.  Two days ago, I decided to open up and old book that dad once gave me as a gift.  The book is “Wooden,” by Coach John Wooden with Steve Jamison.  This is a must read, life changer kind of book.  The reason why I want to share the book is because I had not read it in a while and now I realize how much this book makes me miss and respect my father. 
As I began to read two days ago the first chapter was titled, “Families, Values, and Virtues.”  I could read this book easily in one sitting but I prefer to soak it up and practice Wooden’s lessons on a daily basis; therefore I take my good ole time.  Right from the get go, Wooden lists his 7 principles to live by.  As I read it was hard not to think about how good dad was at all 7.  Here is the list: 1. Be True to Yourself, 2. Help Others, 3. Make Each Day Your Masterpiece, 4. Drink Deeply from Good Books, especially the Bible 5. Make friendship a Fine Art, 6. Build a Shelter Against a Rainy Day, 7. Pray for Guidance and Count and Give Thanks for Your Blessings Every Day.  Collectively, those are 7 principles I know will help anyone get to the place they want to be in life.  I know dad strived for those 7 principles every day and it was not because he told me, it was simply the way he lived his life.  I guess it’s no coincidence mom, Lindsay, and I chose to put “Make each day your masterpiece” on dad’s tombstone.  Now I know what I have to strive for in life and the areas I may have to work on.  Maybe someday I’ll be half the man you were.

Love you dad,
Your son

No comments:

Post a Comment